Okay, so I know Resident Evil 6 has gotten some hate (for serious, the scores are ranging from the 2′s to the 9′s) — but I gotta say, even though I’m only through Leon’s first chapter I am REALLY enjoying it! Granted, I’m playing local co-op with my prior RE5 buddy which always makes things vastly more entertaining (it took us 15 minutes to walk out of the first room because we were having way too much fun causing our characters to seize by rapidly pressing the “bring up GPS” button).
But let’s remind ourselves about my post-RE5 thoughts (which I only finished this February):
- Jill looks good as a blonde, but she really needs to get a spray tan or something. She looks like that girl on the cover of Parasite Eve. (I really need to play that game.) Also, she and Chris are totally boinking.
- Wesker is SO not dead. I don’t care if he was while shot in the face by two rocket launchers while drowning in a pool of lava. He’s still not dead. That red-eyed bastard never dies.
- I liked Sheva, but I would like to see her thrown in more situations and see her develop as a character. Like onions, man–peel those layers back. What I’m saying is that she should be in Resident Evil 6.
- I need to find all of the documents available in RE5 and nerd out over them. I noticed a lot of them have information dating back to the creation of the T and G viruses and that makes me very giddy. There’s probably some juicy stuff in there.
- My co-op partner and I had WAY too much fun with the voice commands. Capcom could probably make a game based off of those alone. “COME ON!”
- WHY can’t we ever be rewarded with an epic prologue for Resident Evil titles? I swear. “OHAI! You’ve spent many ‘a hour playing our game, getting frustrated, etc., so here’s a 30 second ending cut scene! CONGRATS!”
- Chris Redfield is on steroids.
And now I’m currently on a bus on my way to said Cathedral, where people are supposedly holing up. That is NEVER a good sign. I mean, if there’s anything I’ve learned from zombie lore it’s that any supposed “safehouse” turns out to be nothing more than a slaughterhouse full of human body parts and such. Not good.
In any case, I think as long as you don’t set your expectations super-duper high for these later-gen Resident Evil games you’re going to have a great time with them. (Which might be a terrible thing to say, but it’s the truth.) I will say the auto-running is wonky and I don’t like the new skill points shindig, but hey. I’m also a little bummed the voice commands aren’t a thing that is happening, but at least you can bitch to your partner while waiting for them to help open a door. <3.